February 18, 2015

Hegel and Marx Critique of Webphil

Ipso facto, or by the very fact, that we are critiquing our own website, shows that we are working in a very Hegelian fashion, in a dialectic. Having it as it is, each critiquing it, and then synthesizing our ideas to form a better site to which we start our critique the next times is the idea of the historical dialectic, the progress of history, and the progress of a social website.

But, to bring in Marx, there is a limit to our power as students to critique; both the website and the class. There is the teacher and his henchmen, the TA, who have power over the curriculum, power over our grades, and power over our experience with the class, to an extent.

This class has been completely different than I expected and I have had to adjust and be proactive in changing my own attitude towards it. I tried speaking up, or providing an antithesis, early on, but that didn't go too far. The class structure seemed pretty fixed then, though it's getting a little better now.

In part, this fixedness has been good, because I have learned things that I probably never would have, had the class been the way I expected it to be. But, I still feel alienated much of the time and maybe there is a way for us, as students, to have more input in the goals of the class.

No comments:

Post a Comment